Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just A Thought

Government never runs like a well managed household.  A budget is prepared, voted on, and every last penny spent or you don't get the same amount in next year's buget.  Or so I was told.  Yet the new Director of Health with his MBA has cut one million dollars from the Health Department line and he was given the Mental Health department to work his fiscal magic.  I like the concept.

When I was younger, I kept my household budget in check by putting money in envelopes, and when it was gone that was it.  as I got older I thought it would be great to try and keep up with my neighbors, and although I can't complain about what I have, I work too much to enjoy it...........and I'm getting old fast.  So Ive some to the realization that cash is great, and I won't buy anything without it.  No credit cards. I live simpler and I enjoy it.

If I made this choice, I would expect the officials I elected to continue this practice in open government.  Don't bond for vehicles, don't spend money on mandates that don't have overwhelming returns, and if your envelope is empty at the end of the week stop the spending.  You see as Americans we aren't so dumb, and you as officials only know what's best for us if you are genuinely committed to listening.  I honestly wouldn't mind if you hired more people to investigate welfare fraud so the truly needy were the only ones that get assistance, and equally if some folks loose their jobs because the personnel budget is too high that's unfortunate but necessary..........remember there is attrition.  Over 100 properties were up for auction on April 13th, that can't mean that things are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment