Monday, January 10, 2011

Out on a Limb

Sunday: Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik speaks at a news conference in Tucson, Ariz., a day after a shooting injured or killed 20 people, including a federal judge. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords survived the shooting and was in critical condition following brain surgery.

Click Freedom of Speech  for Fox News article.  I'm sure I'm going out on a limb here because all that I've ever heard and lived by is MY First Amendment Right to Free Speech and Expression.  Our forefathers certainly hit the mark when they included it in the Constitutional Rights of early United States government. 

However, I have also been exposed to "children can be cruel", and the recent phenomona of reality television, and there are some things that shouldn't be said, expressed, or seen. Today, on CNN I heard a reporter interview a person who referred to the unfortunate shooting rampage in Tuscan, Arizona as reaction to a political marketing poke.  After reading the Fox News article, I must say I agree in theory with Sheriff Clarence Dupnik, that we have moved into a very mean, cruel society were threats and bullying is acceptable but we can fall back on our First Amendment Rights.  Honestly, I don't think that's what our forefathers were thinking when they wrote this.  Rather, it is acceptable to voice your honest opinion without having to been deemed an outlaw or in a woman's case, a Witch.

No comments:

Post a Comment